dylan's napkin

the only person i need to be is myself because believing in myself never goes out of style!

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

my first interview

interview with the Creative Director

Photobucket
::feel so defeated...::

so yeah, i had my first interview today.
my first interview EVER.
and well, i believe it's the first of many more to come.
i'm a little disappointed though.
on one hand, i'm glad that they selected me for an interview.
i'm glad that they said they liked my work.
however, on the other hand, i felt i could have done much better for the interview.
argh!
i felt i was caught off guard.
i wasn't nervous to begin with.
i was calm and composed.
i was prepared to answer questions like:
"what are your strengths and weaknesses?"
"what do you NOT like about graphic design?"
"why do you want to work for our studio?"
"give me an example of a problem and how you resolved it."
"what do you do when you have a problem with a team member?"
"what improvements have you made to a particular project?"
but ultimately, she was very casual, and just asked me to show my portfolio and explain my work. it's supposed to be the easiest interview ever! but i feel i sort of messed it up somehow.
argh!
i was tongue tied... my words didn't flow as it should...
i couldn't explained in detail, and kept repeating myself...
argh!
what made me upset is that i'm good at this!
i'm good at explaining my work.
i'm good at presenting!
it's one of my forté, for crying out loud!
arghh!
but i couldnt deliver...
and i'm disappointed with myself...
the creative director did say she liked my work.
but there's more to it than that.
chemistry is really important, and i felt i didn't make enough of an impression.
argh...

i even wore my suit and new Calvin Klein shoes...
i guess the almighty power of fabric couldn't save me either.

i was told not too worry so much.
after all, i do know it's only my first interview.
and normal human beings don't usually get it on their first try..
but i really love the design studio.
they are such an awesome bunch of people.
the studio is too pretty to work in! (i'll be distracted by the furniture and that's a good thing!)
and they are such a well established company with many important clients under their belt.
it would be such an honor to work with them...
argh!

i'm still sending out my resume and portfolio to other potential employers.
a couple of them are fashion based, which is pretty awesome.
i'll try to be as optimistic as i can.
just keep hoping,
just keep pushing myself,
and see where that takes me.

keeping my fingers crossed and twisted.

wana thank those who have wished me luck prior to the interview.
and of cos, the comforting after that. :)

4 Comments:

  • At 2:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    LoL,

    One of my friend taught me this. DO NOT START APPLYING for the company that you want to work in first. Start out with those companies that you have no interests in working with. Go there get some experience in interviews, THEN go apply for the company that you want to work in and show off all the experiences that you have accumulated from the other interviews.

    The interview of the company that you want to work in is just like.....an exam paper. It would be better to do some past year papers or prelims before tackling the final paper.

    Just my 2cents worth. :D

    Hope they will contact you soon!

     
  • At 3:47 PM, Blogger deelearn said…

    thanks kenny.
    yeah i kinda figured i should have waited it out a little before going for the interview. but i guess i was too excited, and also didnt want the opportunity to slip by.

    and i agree that it's like an exam. i guess practise makes perfect. now it's result time and i'm trying not to think about it. feeling a little nervous and all.

    thanks again kenny! hope you are well back home. and dun stop the running!

     
  • At 8:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey babe, no worries yeah... More interviews to come. Good luck anyways.

     
  • At 12:38 AM, Blogger deelearn said…

    thanks wilson.
    i appreciate your kind words.
    hope everything's well for you too.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home